Over the past couple of months, I’ve been trying to do little challenges to keep me engaged with reading and to hold me a little more accountable! In October, after a hideous reading month in September, I decided to set myself the challenge of reading 100 pages every day. It went really, really, well, so I’ve been looking for little challenges ever since to keep me going!
That’s when I came across the SeasonAThon readathon challenges, who just so happen to have a readathon for December!
So, what is the Merry Bookmas SeasonAThon?
Essentially, it’s a readathon that happens throughout the month of December and the hosts (Kaylani, Mel and Clint) have come up with 12 prompts to help you pick your TBR for the month! Don’t get me wrong, I have varying successes when it comes to readathons – hello, my name is Maj and I am a mood reader – but I figured it would be the perfect challenge for me to have a go at through the month of December. 12 books is quite adventurous for me, so I have come up with 6-8 books and doubled up on the prompts! I don’t know if that’s allowed, but we’re going for it anyway!
Prompt: Chosen One Trope
I had a tough time choosing the books I was going to use for this prompt so, I’ve got 3 options:
- We Free the Stars by Hafsah Faizal – I read We Hunt the Stars earlier in the year and absolutely loved it!
- Winter Sun by Hollee Mands – I recently finished Little Fire by Hollee earlier this month and really enjoyed it. I love Evangeline’s determination and character development (and Declan’s too!). I’ve eagerly waiting to find out what happens with these two lovers, destined to be together!
- Crown of Gilded Bones by JLA – I have to admit I’m half way through this book, but desperate for an excuse to finish it!
Prompts: Second Chance and Enemies to Lovers
- Lady of Shadows by Melissa K. Roehrich – I finished book 1 (Lady of Darkness) last week and I AM OBSESSED. I’ll be writing a review very soon (hint: it was bloody amazing) and have been DESPERATE to find out what happens? Love fae, magic, banter, excellent world building and character development? Then you HAVE to pick this up! It’s gearing up to maybe be my favourite book of THE YEAR!
Prompts: Bookception and Fake Dating (a book I’ve been meaning to read)
- Unwritten by Alicia J. Novo – way back in June, by book bestie bought this book for my birthday because books are what bought us together! I haven’t got around to reading it yet, but really excited to get stuck into a bookish book… I’m definitely getting Ink Heart vibes, which I loved!
Prompts: Small Town and Retelling
- The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden – a few months ago I was on TikTok and one of my favourite authors (I forget who!) was talking about this book and it was a complete instabuy for me! Plus, I figure it’s a bit of a cosy winter book!
Prompts: Close Quarters and Royalty
- Kingdom of the Cursed by Kerri Maniscalco – I read Kingdom of the Wicked earlier on in the year and, I’m not going to lie, I found the main character pretty annoying. That being said, I still loved Wrath and was intrigued to see what happened next! I FINALLY found a recap of book one so I can get stuck in!
- King of Battle and Blood by Scarlett St. Claire – this will be my first Scarlett St. Claire book and I am VERY excited to be giving it a go! I mean who doesn’t love a morally grey villain to fall in love with?
Prompts: Animal Companion (a book by Amanda Foody) and Game/ Competition
- All of us Villains by Amanda Foody and Christine Lynn Herman – I didn’t fancy the middle grade book that the organisers came up with, however I very much fancy All of Us Villains so I thought I’d swap it out! I’ve never read anything by Amanda or Christine (despite having Ace of Spades on my TBR for years) but I’m excited to give it a go!
So, there you have it! My 6-8 book TBR for the month of December. Don’t get me wrong, I am a MASSIVE mood reader, so I might swap out some of these books for others or maybe go completely off piece and read something that doesn’t fit, but I’m willing to at least give it a go and see how I get on!
Are you participating in the SeasonAThon? I’ve love to see your TBR – drop your books below!